I have wanted to try an air fryer for awhile—the thought of healthier food with that great crispy texture is something I didn’t feel like I could pass up!
The only problem is that every air fryer I looked at was well over $100, which seemed a little pricey for something I wasn’t sure I would use on a regular basis.
With a countertop full of other gadgets—a stand mixer, food processor, crock pot, and pressure cooker—I guess you could say I’m a gadget gal. I just didn’t want another big, bulky item taking up space.
Luckily I found an air fryer that hit both of those marks; it’s compact and inexpensive, but still had great performance reviews.
The downside to any smaller piece of kitchen equipment is that it usually doesn’t hold or cook as much as a bigger item.
My Dash air fryer is no exception; the 2-quart bowl is made for smaller items, or a person cooking for one. It was a tight squeeze to fit two chicken breasts in, and it took a little longer that anticipated to cook since the air couldn’t flow as well.
However, it is definitely a kitchen gadget that I will use regularly, and even though the bowl is small, it cooks quickly enough that you could do several batches, if needed.
The parmesan-crusted chicken I made took five minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook.
The best part is that I was able to set the air fryer, and forget about it; the timer turns it off automatically.
My crispy chicken was finished during the baby’s nap, and she woke up to a tasty little, crispy snack.
I’m always striving to get life done in a naptime or less!
I hope you enjoy this quick crispy chicken as much as my family did!
Crispy Kid-Friendly Chicken
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ + ⅛ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- In a medium bowl, combine the parmesan cheese, cornmeal, ½ teaspoon of the salt, the lemon pepper, and cayenne. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Season the chicken breast with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt, dip it in the egg, then coat it in the parmesan-cornmeal mixture.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket, set the air fryer to 350°F, and set the timer for 20 minutes. To help crisp the chicken on both sides, flip it halfway through cooking.