At first, I was a little scared to take on this challenge because I went super cray from Jump Street!
I was thinking, yes, I make this a double benefit and spruce up the chest of drawers I’ve been wanting to do for years!
Then I realized...Hey, Becca, you haven't really repainted a piece of furniture before, maybe you should start off a little smaller!
And so that’s what I did!
I had been thinking that we needed a new spot for the plant I had—and the ones I had my eye on!
I have been researching the best starter house plants to get. I decided on aloe for its many holistic benefits and easy care. I also decided on a rubber tree, for ease of care as well.
And I liked the idea of having friends split off their plants that they could spare to contribute to the start of my plant collection.
I had a couple of friends, Claire and Kristen, who kindly agreed to share their green thumb abundance with me! I decided to name the plants after each of them!
I was also visiting a good friend of mine, Sam, recently who just so happened to be getting rid of a small table!
I eagerly agreed to take it off her hands.
The table came up because I was asking her advice about painting furniture. Sam is an amazing artist and she’s always up-cycling furniture and creating pieces that look great!
I originally thought of using my daughter’s old diaper changing table, but I still use it for clothing storage, so it would’ve been counter-productive.
I followed Sam's advice and went with her favorite brand of paint for my project, Sherwin Williams, and got an angled brush (a good one) to help with corners and coverage.
I have to say, the staff at the paint store were really helpful and patient.
I settled on gentle aqua as a color.
I originally thought a soft yellow would be nice with the green plants, but once I was at the store, the aqua started calling my name.
The day I painted, it was a little too cool outside according to the instructions on the paint, so I painted inside.
I was worried about fumes in the house, especially around my toddler. But I must say, it didn’t feel like there was a noticeable smell in the house.
I thought I was going to wait the four hours and do a second coat, but I loved the unfinished/distressed look of the single coat so much that I decided to leave it that way.
One of the only tips I have is definitely to sand before panting.
I used some sand paper I had from an old staining project that worked great.
I didn't worry about sanding too much as I knew I wanted at least a slightly worn finish.
My other tip is that the brush I got was great, but I will say that the size of table I was painting could have used a smaller brush around the legs and ledges.
I was able to manage with the brush I had though.
I hope this week’s challenge inspires you to up-cycle something in your home and give it some color!