I am a creature of comfort. I love being cozied up on my couch with warm blankets when it’s cold out.
It doesn’t matter if I’m watching something on TV, reading, or even writing this post!
When I thought about this week’s challenge, I wanted to bring a little of that cozy to the ones I plan on gifting! Plus, I think this idea is one that can bring people—or families—together!
If you’ve read any of my previous posts, you know that I love bars!
Not the ones you go to for drinks with friends (although I like those, too), but rather the ones you set up when entertaining so people can make their own food, drinks, etc.
Food and drink bars allow people to be creative—while taking only what they want. Plus it’s usually helpful for those with dietary needs. I also love that it makes it easier on the host to throw a party.
Since I can’t exactly gift a party bar to anyone, I thought I could help with an idea you could use to create one—stirrers for a hot chocolate bar!
These stirrers are so easy to make, plus they’re super festive and kid-friendly!
While I was making them, I thought of all the possible memories that might unfold for others: snuggle time with your child or significant other, a dessert bar after a holiday dinner party, friends chatting on a snowy day.
Or—for myself—some me-time with a favorite book and a cup of something warm.
These hot chocolate stirrers are a great way to make memories with other people or to gift those memories!
I hope this little recipe sweetens and warms you and yours on the chilliest of days.
Hot Chocolate Stirrers
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Toppings of your choice:
- • candy canes
- • peppermint extract
- • cayenne
- • cinnamon
- • mini chocolate chips
- • ground or candied ginger
- • vegan marshmallows
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler over medium heat.
- Once they are melted, stir in the powdered sugar and mix well to combine.
- Remove the mixture from heat and, using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, fill each mini compartment (in a mini muffin tin, silicone tin, or ice cube tray).
- While the chocolate mixture is still warm and liquidy, add your stirrers of choice—mini spoons, candy canes, popsicle sticks, etc. As long as the stirrers are not too heavy or tall they should stay in place just fine.
- Pop these beauties into the freezer and allow them to harden—at least 20 to 25 minutes, or as long as overnight.
- To serve, allow the stirrers to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes, then gently wiggle each to remove from the pan. Wrap them up or place them in a cute tin or mug. Ét voilá!
- To make hot chocolate: Stir these littles babies into 6 to 8 ounces of warm non-dairy milk (or dairy milk if you’re not vegan). Stir and sip!
- If you’re not making these vegan, you can use white chocolate chips or chocolate melts rather than the Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips.
- Instead of melting the chocolate in a double boiler, you can microwave it until melted and then stir in the powdered sugar.