Memorial Day is always the kickoff to the start of summer, and for me there is no better way to start the summer than with a dessert!
To kick my summer off right, I decided to make a Key Lime Cake to take to the party. In order to save money and time for this cake, I used a boxed yellow butter cake, and made the key lime curd and cream cheese icing.
The inspiration for this cake came from my husband, whose favorite dessert is Key Lime Pie.
The combination of yellow butter cake (I prefer Duncan Hines) with the tartness of the Key Lime curd, and the smooth flavor of the cream cheese icing make for a light and perfectly-balanced summer dessert.
Key Lime Curd
- 225 grams (8 ounces) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups key lime juice
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 55 grams (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- Zest of 3 limes
- Sliced lime, for a garnish
- Beat the sugar and eggs together in a heavy (non-aluminum) saucepan, just enough to combine.
- Add the lime juice, heavy cream, butter, and zest.
- Bring the mixture to scalding point, stirring constantly over medium heat; do not boil.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and strain immediately, then set aside to cool.
See the video below for how I put this cake together, and Happy Memorial Day!