One of my prized possessions is my Mamaw’s recipe book, which my parents gave to me when I graduated from culinary school.
I love looking back through her recipes, especially around the holidays.
I knew exactly what I wanted to make when this challenge came up—one of my favorite recipes, listed as “Ken’s Favorite Fudge.”
Ken was my Papaw’s name, and he loved my Mamaw’s fudge recipe.
I decided to update it a little and rename it Sea Salt Butterscotch Fudge.
Making Mawmaw’s recipes bring back such great memories, and make me feel like I am right next to her in the kitchen again.
Sea Salt Butterscotch Fudge
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 5 hard butterscotch candies, crushed
- Maldon sea salt, for a garnish
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cocoa powder, and cornstarch. Then add the almond milk and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage—240°F on a candy thermometer. DO NOT STIR while it is on the heat.
- Pour the cooked fudge into a pre-greased pan, then sprinkle the crushed butterscotch candies and sea salt on top. Allow the fudge to set completely—about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Cut into squares for all to enjoy!